France's Saip emergency smartphone app failed during Nice attack

"We are filled with consternation hearing news of the attack in the city of Nice on July 14, which left dozens of people dead and many others injured", Le Hai Binh, spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said Friday.

Prime Minister Manuel Valls said the attacker probably had links to radical Islam, but Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve cautioned it was too early to make the connection.

A state of emergency was in place across France since November's Paris attacks carried out by militants from the so-called Islamic State group, in which 130 people died.

French President Francois Hollande has canceled his trip to Prague planned for next week following the deadly attack in Nice. But neighbors in the Nice neighborhood where the Bouhlel used to live told The Associated Press that his estranged wife had been taken away Friday by police.

Mohamed Bouhlel, 31, drove a truck through a crowd yesterday killing 84 people.

At the meeting with the security chiefs, Mr Hollande was expected to review all options in response to the attack. She said five children were still in a "critical condition", and an eight-year-old in a stable condition but had not been identified as well.

"We are determined to fight against terrorism and we will be stronger than terrorists", she added.

A pistol and several fake weapons were later found inside, authorities said.

Ms. Nouvel was enjoying the Bastille Day fireworks on the picturesque Promenade des Anglais when, she said, the truck appeared in the middle of the crowd, just as the fireworks were ending.

The Lenval Foundation hospital has one of France's largest pediatric emergency units, but Simpson said it asked the families of children it was already treating to pick up their kids so as to free up rooms for attack victims.

The man responsible for turning a night of celebration into one of carnage in the seaside city of Nice was a petty criminal who hadn't been on the radar of French intelligence services before the attack. Many foreigners and police officers are also believed to be among the dead.

The statement did not name the attacker, and the language implied that he may have acted independently. "Over there I saw children".

The "truck attack" framing also received widespread condemnation from readers.

Her husband, John Lambert, said the couple was nearly struck by Bouhlel.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said that no group had admitted carrying out the attack but that it bore the hallmarks of jihadist terrorism.

Tunisian-born Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel deliberately rammed a transport truck through the crowd, slamming through two kilometers of pedestrians before finally being shot and killed by police.

Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy explain decision to skip Rio Olympics
Police officer placed on leave over Black Lives Matter posts