State officials closed Utah Lake on Friday due to health concerns from a large algal bloom.
In 2014, a dog died shortly after playing water affected by another algal bloom.
But before the official closure, the public was still able to access the lake to fish, swim and recreate, exposing themselves to unsafe toxins.
The health department says you should contact your doctor or the Utah Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 if you experience any of the following symptoms: rashes, hives, blisters, allergy-type symptoms like a runny nose or sore throat, vomiting and diarrhea. The health department is warning that swimming and other activities that could cause accidental ingestion of water are not permitted at the lakes until the health alert is lifted.
The bloom extends from Provo Bay to Provo Harbor near the Utah Lake State Park.
Samples show that there are, on average, between 34 and 36 million cells per milliliter; three times greater than the threshold of health risk. Fishing in river areas near Utah Lake is not recommended until further notice. At least eight people who recently visited the lake have reported feeling ill. "It kind of cleanses itself", he said. They say even though algae might not be visible, the water is risky and should be avoided until further notice.
"Reservoirs have first say", he said.