Afghan officials claim over 90 Isis militants killed in MOAB strike

The death toll from the American military's 11-ton and largest non-nuclear bomb ever used in combat almost tripled Saturday, with Afghan officials saying at least 90 ISIS jihadists were killed, as US-led forces conducted clean-up operations over the rugged terrain.

At least 82 militants were killed as a result of the bomb strike, The New York Times reported on Friday citing Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor's office.

For four weeks prior to the bombing, Afghan special forces tried to penetrate the area, but they were unsuccessful due to the hard terrain and a belt of improvised explosive devises planted by ISIS fighters, Gen. Dawlat Waziri, spokesman for Afghanistan's Defense Ministry said.

The US military said that the bomb, set off in the eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan on Thursday, was aimed to destroy a tunnel and cave complex used by ISIS militants in the region.

Hamid Karzai, who previously served as the president of Afghanistan, on Saturday said President Ashraf Ghani committed treason if he gave the United States permission to drop the largest non-nuclear bomb on ISIS tunnels earlier this week.

A 300 meter long tunnel, along with large amounts of light and heavy weapons and munition were destroyed in the bombing, the Afghan defence ministry said Friday.

He said a clearance operation was continuing.

Residents in Afghan villages near the target area felt Thursday's powerful strike.

A Pentagon spokesman said its forces would not release an official statement on potential damage or casualties incurred from the strike, which was carried out in the Achin district of Nangahar province Thursday night.


Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai tweeted: "This is not the war on terror, but the inhuman and most brutal misuse of our country as testing ground for new and unsafe weapons".

"So we have incredible leaders of the military and incredible military, and we are very proud of them, and this was another very successful mission", Trump said.

"This was the first time that we encountered an extensive obstacle to our progress", top USA general in Afghanistan Gen. John Nicholson told reporters Friday.

The strike was created to minimise the risk to Afghan and US forces conducting clearing operations in the area while maximising the destruction of IS fighters and facilities, said the US Forces-Afghanistan, which is part of NATO-led Resolute Support. I will say this: "I think China has really been working very hard", he said.

"If you look at what's happened over the last eight weeks and compare it to, really, what's happened over the last eight years, you'll see there's a tremendous difference, tremendous difference", Mr. Trump said.

The big impact was that it terrified a lot of civilians living in the surrounding area, who obviously weren't told what was happening until well after the fact. The rocky landscape is dotted with caves and defensive tunnels, making it easy to hold and hard to attack, according to Nic Robertson, CNN's global diplomatic editor, who has reported from the Afghan mountains.

Locals told CNN that more than 3,000 families had fled the district in the past year or so since the militant group established its presence.

The massive bomb was dropped after fighting intensified over the past week and US-backed ground forces struggled to advance on the area.

Leicester winger Albrighton: Ref cost us at Atletico Madrid
Death toll from 'Mother Of All Bombs' climbs to 94