Man arrested for planning to bomb Confederate statue at a Houston park

FBI agents execute a search warrant on a home where they suspect bomb-making materials are stored

FBI agents execute a search warrant on a home where they suspect bomb-making materials are stored

A 25-year-old man is in custody after he was found with explosive materials near the Dick Dowling Confederate monument in Houston.

He was released from probation early a year ago after he was convicted in 2015 of storing explosives and was charged in a criminal complaint filed in federal court, according to the Houston Chronicle.

The charge stems from an August 19 incident in which a park ranger spotted Schneck near the General Dowling Monument in Houston, authorities said.

The two small boxes contained duct tape, wires, a timer, and nitroglycerin and hexamethylene triperoxide diamine (HTMD), the active ingredient in the manufacture of explosives.

The Houston Chronicle reports when Schneck was caught, he tried to drink the liquid before spitting it out. The ranger then noticed a timer and wires in the box and notified the Houston Police Department (HPD).

Schneck purchased the items on August 19 and authorities believe he had intended on creating explosives with them, the charges state.

Schneck, who majored in science at Austin College, was additionally found with a restrain containing fluid made of mixes utilized as explosives.

Schneck's arrest comes after events in Charlottesville, Virginia, where a white supremacist rally over the removal of a Confederate statue resulted in three deaths and the removals of other statues nationwide, including at Duke University and late Sunday evening at the University of Texas at Austin. In 2013, a multi-agency team stormed the home owned by Houston art community staple Cecily E. Horton, and her husband, Andrew Schneck.

Court documents also state that Schneck had conducted "chemistry experiments" at his home in Houston.

The following year, the younger Schneck was sentenced to five years of probation after pleading guilty in federal court to knowingly storing explosives.

He was sentenced to five years of probation, and ordered to pay almost $160,000 in restitution. In 2016, a judge released him from probation ahead of schedule. The motion for early release from his probation stated that Schneck "is now evaluating employment and educational opportunities with the desire to obtain an advanced degree where he hopes to study chemical reactions using cutting-edge computer learning software". That included a ban on coming in contact with explosive materials.

If convicted, Schneck faces up to 40 years in federal prison and a possible $250,000 maximum fine.

Ford Motor Company (F) Wants To Make EVs In China
Couple Names Daughter 'Eclipse' After Being Born During Celestial Event