News of Jozef's tragic death only came to light this week after the Dudek's family attorney spoke out saying they were "absolutely distraught" over what happened.
As for the recall, Cowles said, "We are telling consumers that if they are going to participate, to ask for the refund" rather than the anchoring kit.
Feldman added, "It has always been our view that furniture stability should be built into a dresser and anchoring should be a secondary method of securing furniture".
A coalition comprised of the American Academy of Pediactrics, Consumers Union, Consumer Federation of America, Kids in Danger, the National Center for Health Research, Public Citizen, Shane's Foundation, and U.S. PIRG issued a statement on the latest death earlier this week.
Ikea, as well as the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, have confirmed they are aware of Jozef's death in relation to the Malm product.
Ikea also said the company's "hearts go out to the affected family, and we offer our honest condolences during this most hard time".
According to ABC, a tentative $50 million settlement is in the works for three previous deaths when the dresser flipped over on toddlers.
The recall offers full refunds or fix kits for over 100 potentially risky dresser models produced between 2002 and 2016 (see the full list here), and partial refunds for any dressers produced before 2002.
Since the recall, Ikea has completely redesigned many of its dressers, and they claim that all items they now sell meet the industry standard for stability. "We have to do better, because these are just ticking landmines in a child's bedroom", she insisted. Other IKEA chests and dressers in this recall were sold at various times through June 2016. "Rather than move on with new versions of the tainted MALM name and sweep the recall under the rug, IKEA must do everything it can to retrieve its faulty dressers".
Jozef is believed to be the first confirmed death since Ikea recalled the dresser a year ago.
"The true tragedy is there might be more of these in the future", Mann said.
According to the CPSC, one child dies every two weeks and a child is injured every 24 minutes in the United States from furniture or TVs tipping over on them.