Husband arrested in connection with woman's stairwell death in Brooklyn

Tonie and Barry Wells

Tonie and Barry Wells

While the exact charges filed against Wells have yet to be revealed, and details on an official cause of death is pending, new reports of negligence on behalf of the NYPD has emerged.

Sources told PIX11 news that Wells and her husband had a history of domestic violence and that police were called to the home at least once before.

- The NYPD suspended two cops while it investigates how they handled a 911 call to check on a woman in Brooklyn who later ended up dead.

Tonie Wells, 22, was found dead with bruising to her neck following the 9:50 a.m. incident at the Crown Heights residence on Sterling Place after neighbors reportedly heard the cries of her two-year-old daughter and called the cops. Multiple calls were made to police before the discovery, indicating that there had been a loud argument and persistent crying coming from the couple's 2-year-old. Bruises were found on her neck, and her husband, Barry Wells, was arrested. Her husband, Barry, 29, has been brought in for questioning surrounding the incident.

According to Tonie Wells' Facebook page, she married Barry Wells in April of this year. "They didn't even go up to the house".

"Wells" neighbor, Michelle Ruiz, 22, who last saw Wells three weeks ago, said Wells was pregnant.

Investigators are treating the death as a possible homicide, Deputy Chief Michael Kemper, Commanding Officer of Detective Borough Brooklyn North told reporters.

Police said they have arrested a man in connection with the death of a Brooklyn woman whose body was found at the bottom of a stairwell is now in custody.

"I always speak to how proud I am of our officers, but unfortunately when we don't live up to that standard we have to fully investigate", Police Commissioner James O'Neill said in a statement.

Unemployment rate in Yakima County in November smashes recent record
Arsenal's Wenger equals Ferguson record in the Premier League