While the prime accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh, Lt Col Prasad Purohit and six others will face charges under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and Arms Act, UAPA, three others namely Shyam Sahu, Shivnarayan Kalsangra and Praveen Takalki have been completely absolved from all charges in the case. It had also not opposed her discharge application that was filed subsequently.
Earlier on December 18, the Bombay High Court, had dismissed petitions filed by both Colonel Purohit and Sadhvi Pragya challenging the sanction for their prosecution under the UAPA. The involvement of some of the accused was found in other terror acts in the country.
April 2017: Sadhvi Pragya granted bail. The special court also dropped MCOCA charges against other accused - Ramesh Upadhyay and Ajay Rahikar.
Hours after the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) charges were dropped against the accused in the Malegaon blast case, Congress leader Shakeel Ahmad on Wednesday alleged the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of pressurising the lawyers and the National Investigative Agency (NIA) to help the accused.
November, 2008: Anti-Terror Squad arrest Colonel Purohit, a serving army officer.
All accused are already out on bail and will continue to be on bail. "Hence it is hard to accept submissions on behalf of the NIA and the accused number one that she had no concern with the present crime", it said. Assistant Public Prosecutor Mankunwar Deshmukh, ATS counsel, told the court that the special court order had "no legal basis".
The terrorist act, which took place in 2008 occurred in September 29, 2008 Malegaon, Maharashtra took the lives of seven people as two bombs that had been planted on a motorcycle exploded.
However, on April 15, 2015 the Supreme Court held that the accused can not be charged under MCOCA, thereby clearing the path for the eventual bail of the accused, including Thakur and Purohit, which the SC directed had to be decided in one month.