Monday's update - wildly speculated - follows the streaming giant's November 3 decision to sever ties with Spacey following mounting allegations of sexual harassment against the actor.
"We were really excited we could get to an agreement. for the conclusion of the show", said Sarandos. Sources at the time told THR that season six was nearly entirely written before Star Trek actor Anthony Rapp went public October 29 with allegations that Spacey made unwanted sexual advances toward him in 1986 - when Spacey was 26 and Rapp was 14. Production was called to a halt on October 31 as writers have been figuring out how to continue the series without Spacey, who starred in the lead role of Frank Underwood for five years and five seasons now. How will they write Spacey out of the script but keep the storyline going?
Speaking to analysts and investors at UBS's Global Media and Communications Conference in New York, Sarandos announced that Netflix will resume production on House of Cards' sixth and final season in 2018 and that Spacey's character Frank Underwood will not be a part of the show's final season.
First elements of response, with the announcement of a Kevin Spacey totally absent from the season.
"House of Cards" producer Media Rights Capital also suspended the actor last month. "The way to do that is having a lot of variety, and executing in multiple genres at a high level", Sarandos said, noting Netflix has made forays into unscripted shows and stand-up specials.
House of Cards was Netflix's first original series order.
Additionally, director Ridley Scott also removed the actor from his upcoming film "All the Money in the World", with Christopher Plummer.