JFK Airport terminal evacuated because of massive water main break

JFK Airport terminal evacuated because of massive water main break

JFK Airport terminal evacuated because of massive water main break

A water main break in one of the terminals at New York's Kennedy Airport on Sunday added to the delays at the beleaguered airport, which is trying to recover from the aftermath of a snowstorm that has stranded thousands of passengers.

Water poured from the ceiling and the arrivals area was submerged by standing water, through which a few intrepid passengers picked their way gingerly, according to footage broadcast by CNN.

More than 500 flights into or out of JFK were canceled and almost 1,400 delayed from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon, according to the flight-tracking website FlightAware.

The break happened in Terminal Four, which is a main global hub for the airport serving mainly Delta Airlines. A YouTuber named Tony's-24/7 Eyes spent 24 hours chronicling the challenges of passengers and staff and he had plenty to work with.

The extreme cold and recovery from Thursday's snow storm created a "cascading series of issues for the airlines and terminal operators", the Port Authority said.

On Saturday the airport was forced to close Terminal 1, which serves the likes of Air France, Japan Airlines and Lufthansa, to global arrivals in an attempt to get on top of the backlog.

Tired travelers faced hours-long waits on the tarmac and additional hours-long waits to retrieve their baggage once they were in the terminal, NBC New York reported. "People are getting upset".

Litvin said he and his wife were leaving the airport eight hours after their flight landed - with only half their luggage.

"We're exhausted", he said.

The airline Virgin Atlantic tweeted in the early morning hours Sunday that police were called to a "disturbance" at a gate they were sharing with another airline after a flight was cancelled.

"What happened at JFK Airport is unacceptable, and travelers expect and deserve better", Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton said in a statement. No injuries were reported.

"Frigid temperatures continue to cause equipment failures and slower than normal operations". It also caused several flight delays.

Franco turns bad into gold with Globe for 'Disaster Artist'
HTC announces Vive Pro headset, wireless Vive adaptor