3 injured in shooting outside US' NSA headquarters

Shooting outside US NSA headquarters one hurt

Representational image

AT least one person was injured overnight in a shooting near the National Security Agency at Fort Meade in Maryland, Baltimore, after an SUV ran into a barrier - and a suspect was in custody, according to reports.

NSA officials said "several individuals" were taken to hospitals, but that initial information indicates none of the injuries were a result of gunfire.

Aerial footage of the scene from NBC News showed a black SUV with numerous bullet holes in its windshield crashed into concrete barriers at the main entrance to the NSA's headquarters in Fort Meade, Maryland.

He did confirm that one person had been injured and transported, although he did not say where the person had been transported to.

The driver of the vehicle, an NSA police officer and a civilian who happened to be at Security Gate 1 when the shooting started were hospitalized, Johnson said.

The NSA is housed at a military instillation - Fort Meade - and is located just off a major Washington highway. One was shot dead, and the other seriously hurt in the attempt.

The NSA policeman and the bystander were also sent to hospital, with their injuries described as "not life-threatening".

A National Security Agency (NSA) police vehicle drives by the media staging area after a shooting outside the NSA headquarters in Fort Meade, Maryland, U.S. February 14, 2018.

The vehicle had a NY license plate, and Johnson said it was believed to be a rental auto, but he said it was unknown exactly where the vehicle came from.

With a bevy of exit ramps that wind and weave their way through the area, the Federal Bureau of Investigation is not discounting the idea that the driver of the SUV just made a wrong turn and then panicked as he approached armed guards outside the secure NSA gate. The FBI was leading the investigation into the incident. "Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected".

Part of Route 32 was closed in both directions near Fort Meade for about an hour, but the road reopened just before 9 a.m.

Despite prominent highway signs, drivers occasionally take the wrong exit and end up at the tightly secured gates.

An image taken from a WRC-TV helicopter shows a police and fire department response outside one of the facility's secure vehicle entry gates.

#Popcorn Moment- Mike Pence Lays In To The View!
USA's Jamie Anderson wins gold in women's snowboard slopestyle