Suspicious packages sent to military bases in DC area, US

Multiple suspicious packages sent to DC-area military and intelligence installations

FBI investigating wave of suspicious packages sent to military, intelligence offices around DC

The FBI said suspicious packages were sent to "multiple government facilities" in the Washington, D.C. area on Monday (March 26). The package was later rendered safe, Army officials told the news channel.

"The FBI responded to multiple government facilities today for the reports of suspicious packages".

No injuries were reported, and information about the contents of the packages was not immediately available. Law enforcement officials confirmed that the packages had contained explosive components such as fuse attachments, Global Positioning System locators, and black powder. The facility is now where the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency is based.

The National Defense University at Fort McNair was cleared for re-entry after K-9 sweep and personnel returned to the building by 1:15 pm ET. Law enforcement officials described the incident as possible terrorism. Court documents are expected to give insight into how many packages were mailed and whether or not the devices were actually explosive. Authorities have confirmed that the packages had contained explosive components.

Other military installations received suspicious packages this year.

She said the Pentagon was referring all queries to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. An Army bomb squad confirmed that the package tested positive for explosive residue and determined a fuse was attached, he said. "The FBI continues to advise the public to remain vigilant and not touch, move, or handle any suspicious or unknown packages".

Among those to receive the packages and rambling letters, reported NBC News, were the National Defense University at Fort McNair and Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, both in D.C, and two mail processing sites, one for the Central Intelligence Agency and another for the White House.

Williams said "It's obvious they were on to this person quite quickly", adding that authorities had some indication of their suspicions Monday evening.

Syrian Army Frees Citizens Abducted by Terrorists in Ghouta
Freezing temperatures and snow over Easter weekend