He also points to a 2004 report published in The Indian Journal of Chest Disease & Allied Sciences, which documents the case of a woman who accidentally inhaled a condom during oral sex which led to pneumonia and partial lung collapse.
Google Trends shows a sharp spike in the search term "condom snorting" in late March, with a hundred searches in the past week.
Move over, Tide Pod Challenge... there's a new teen thing that's sweeping the nation: condom snorting!
In San Antonio, Texas, parents have reportedly started to attend classes about the condom-snorting challenge and other risky social media trends. While the idea has been floating around like a condom in a toilet for a while now, its recent social media virulence has brought on a host of would-be Internet celebrity copycats. A misdirected prophylactic "could easily get stuck in your nose or your throat, blocking your breathing or causing you to choke", he adds.
"Otherwise, anything else that goes up your nose can damage the sensitive inner lining of your nose, cause an allergic reaction, or result in an infection", Lee wrote. Not to mention the possible choking hazard involved in condom inhalation, Inquisitr notes.
"Would it really be worth all that just to get more like and views?" The video has since been removed, but there are still dozens of others showing teenagers accepting the challenge.
Unlike unsafe decisions in which the intent is to get high, these social media challenges are considered games that are created to get attention online.
But over the past five years, US poison control centers have received only one report of a condom inhalation. If you type condom challenge into YouTube, several videos of young people snorting condoms will show up.