European rights court rejects case on terminally ill toddler



The 23-month-old's life support was withdrawn on Monday after the court ruled Liverpool's Alder Hey Children's Hospital could end his care.

"Unfortunately, the action taken last night and the behaviour of a small minority of supporters impacted very negatively on other patients, families and staff at Alder Hey". That maybe persuading the judge in the hearing right now to allow his parents to take him home.

"The Italian ambassador has urgently contacted the court with a request for the Italian government to be allowed to intervene in the case and seek the return of their citizen Alfie Evans to Italy".

But, Mr Justice Hayden ruled last night that Alfie can not be removed from Alder Hey Children's Hospital pending the hearing before a Court of Appeal decision on Monday.

Earlier this month, Hayden ordered the end-of-life plan to proceed, stating that while he understands the frustration of Alfie's parents, he sees no chance of recovery and believes Evans is hoping for an "entirely unrealistic solution".

But a doctor treating Alfie, who can not be named for legal reasons, said that for Alfie to be allowed home would require a "sea change" in attitude from the child's family, and they feared that in the "worst case" they would try to take the boy overseas.

However, in doing so it appears that Mr Justic Hayden has denied Alfie's family's wishes for him to be flown to Italy for treatment.

Hayden, addressing the legal teams of both sides said: "If there were a more constructive attitude from the family might other options become possible, away from Alder Hey?"

The hearing, before a high court judge in Manchester, began late on Tuesday afternoon.

On Tuesday a High Court judge ruled that the family could not take him overseas for further treatment, but that he may be allowed home.

Doctors at Alder Hey Hospital removed Alfie from assisted breathing at 9:17 p.m. local time after United Kingdom judges approved plans to end his life support treatment despite the fact that hospital staff missed the initial court ordered time, 12 p.m., for ending his treatment, according to The Sun.

The ruling allowed doctors at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool, northwest England, to withdraw treatment. "It can not be in Alfie's best interests to be left in Alder Hey where the court order is to let him die". Doctors treating him at Britain's Alder Hey Children's Hospital say further treatment is futile.

Alfie has been granted Italian citizenship, of which Roger said: "if another hospital is happy to take a look then they should have absolutely have every right, particularly given what happened last night, to seek treatment overseas". An air ambulance had been at the ready to quickly transport Evans to Italy had the judge approved the transfer. Life support was removed last night after all appeal efforts in the courts were unsuccessful, but Alfie breathed on his own.

Baby Alfie Evans who has a neurodegenerative disorder has been fighting for his life.

"I'm not suggesting this, I don't want it to be taken as an indication from me".

His dad Tom Evans told media today that doctor's are gobsmacked by the youngster's ability to survive.

"Last night Mr Justice Hayden ordered that Alfie can not be removed from Alder Hey Children's Hospital pending the hearing before the Court of Appeal on Monday".

But a doctor treating Alfie, who can not be named for legal reasons and appeared in court in medical scrubs, said that would require a "sea change" in the attitude of Alfie's family.

Why Did Facebook Remove Your Post? This Doc Might Help
Bespoke Brexit deal 'achievable' and not cherry picking, City watchdog argues