Yemeni forces have vowed a "crushing response" to the United States and the Saudi-led coalition for killing Saleh al-Samad, the chairman of Yemen's Supreme Political Council, the Yemeni news agency Saba reported Tuesday.
The news first came to attention on Saturday, when Saudi Arabia's appointed ambassador to Yemen Mohammed Al-Jaber tweeted on Saturday, "The Yemen Comprehensive Humanitarian Support Center (YCHO) is deeply concerned that the Iranian-backed Houthi militias are holding more than 19 oil vessels in the militia-controlled area of Al-Mustaqaf, preventing them from entering the port".
Col Al Maliki said the coalition was committed to conducting its operations in accordance with global humanitarian law, especially the protection of civilian life based on "the assumption that every person in Yemen is a civilian until proven otherwise". Several strikes reportedly killed six others in his retinue.
The Houthis control the capital Sanaa and are fighting forces loyal to the internationally-recognised government based in the southern port city of Aden.
Samad was second on the coalition's most wanted list of Houthi leaders, after Abdul Malik al Houthi.
The said raid also injured 45 others, including 30 children. The coalition has not commented on the reports.
The Huthis on Monday accused the coalition of killing their political leader, Saleh al-Sammad, in an air strike last week.
Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Three million Yemenis have been displaced by the conflict.