One dead after attackers slit throats at mosque in Durban

A device was thrown into the Mosque by the suspects

A device was thrown into the Mosque by the suspects

One of the victims died and the other two are now in critical condition.

Private security company Reaction Unit South Africa's Prem Balram reportedly said: "Upon arrival‚ Reaction Unit officers found that two victims had their throats slit and were bleeding profusely".

Paul Herbst of IPSS Medical Rescue said, "Unconfirmed reports suggests that three men, reportedly of Egyptian descent, attacked members of the mosque before setting fire to the building". The attack comes days before the start of the Islamic holy month of Ramadaan. The Shia mosque was also set alight by the perpetrators who fled in a Hyundai.

Three men stormed the mosque on Thursday wearing half balaclavas, slitting the throat of a man believed to be the mosque's imam.

Taliep said the MJC "strongly calls on the South African Police Services (SAPS) as well as ALL [sic] other relevant government structures to do the necessary criminal investigations" so that the criminals can can face the full might of the law. "The other two are still being treated in hospital".

Police said in a statement that three unknown men entered a mosque after the midday prayer and attacked three people.

A South African mosque has been attacked by men fully armed with guns and knives. He said paramedics were busy attending to all three victims. They request the public's assistance in apprehending these suspects.

Gwala said no arrests had been made yet. "It was a sudden attack and at this point we don't have enough information".

The attack took place in the town of Verulam, KwaZulu-Natal, around 15 miles from the city of Durban.

Real Madrid's Carvajal speaks about Salah encounter
Ricky Rubio: Ruled out for Game 4