At the press conference after the summit on June 12, Trump defended the concessions he had made by arguing that he had to cater to "different voices" in North Korea and make things easier for his "new friend" Kim.
8 - Moving to Trump in the US he said on Thursday that North Korea has already started the process of denuclearization, and that Pyongyang has blown up 4 big test sites. The United States stations 28,500 troops in South Korea as a legacy of the conflict.
The South Korean president also said that during the visit his country and Russian Federation were planning to sign agreements on the comprehensive development of economic cooperation.
He added that, "it's the very front end of a process".
His words have not only surrendered the moral high ground held by Washington and Seoul throughout the North Korea nuclear crisis, but have also undermined the justifications for holding the entire military drill. "I wouldn't expect that at this point".
Speaking to reporters at the Pentagon on Wednesday, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said he had not yet seen any steps by North Korea to dismantle its nuclear program.
North Korea has been hit by a raft of United Nations sanctions over its nuclear and missile tests, but the USA has offered relief from the punitive measures if its gives up its arsenal. "This will certainly lead to the enhanced economic development, and not only of the two Koreas", Moon Jae-in said.
"This summit is significant because it will set the stage for the North Korea-US summit, and even a possible three-way summit between the countries", Im said.
Two US officials told Reuters on Tuesday that North Korea could start that process within days.
"The opening of this route will make it more convenient and efficient to travel from Xian to Pyongyang and furthermore satisfy the enthusiasm of Xian citizens travelling to Pyongyang", the daily said.
But the joint statement between Kim and Trump did not include details about how the two countries will reach denuclearization.
The South Korean government also said there was "nothing confirmed" yet regarding the issue. "The detailed negotiations have not begun", Mattis said, according to the British Telegraph, which cited the Yonhap news agency. She spoke after the US and South Korea announced that the Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills slated for August have been called off. So far the remains of 334 servicemen have been identified from the bones and personal effects handed over by Pyongyang, and about 5,000 more are thought to be scattered around North Korean territory.
North and South Korea have agreed to resume reunions for families separated by the Korean War in August - the first such meetings since 2015.
News of the expected transfer comes as USA officials look for signs that North Korea intends to follow through with its stated desire to denuclearize.
Seoul has maintained the 12 women willingly settled in South Korea in 2016 but is now reviewing the circumstances following a media report suggesting at least some were brought against their will. Does he know something that we don't?
"They're giving a commitment, they're starting it immediately, to recover their remains", Trump said. "That's all that I can tell you".