A 29-year-old surfer died from what is commonly known as a "brain-eating amoeba" after visiting a resort in Waco, Texas.
CDC spokesperson Candice Burns Hoffmann said that preliminary test results should be ready next week and will provide recommendations to BSR Surf Resort for reducing potential exposures in the future, as reported by the Waco Tribune-Herald. Infections such as the one Stabile had, though rare, happen when the water enters the body through the nose.
The disease, according to the CDC, is nearly always fatal, with only four people out of 143 cases have survived the infection.
But the "brain-eating amoeba" infections can also occur in inadequately chlorinated swimming pools or heated and contaminated tap water, hot springs, geothermal drinking water, and water heaters.
When his mother went to check on him in the early afternoon of Monday, Stabile could not get out of bed and could not speak coherently and he was rushed to hospital. "We hope to have results by the end of the week", a spokeswoman for the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District told the broadcaster on September 30. "Even so, this drug is not easily accessible", Stabile's friend wrote.
In a statement, Stuart Parsons Jr., the owner of BSR Cable Park, said his "hearts and prayers" are with Stabile's family.
The Naegleria fowleri amoeba is a free-living amoeba found in warm freshwater ponds, lakes and rivers, which feeds on bacteria but can cause a lethal infection in humans. Once it travels through the nose it causes a devastating brain infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).
Doctors first thought he was suffering from meningitis, but tests revealed he had Naegleria fowleri the day before his death, when it was too late to treat the infection.