Two Koreas agree to remove some border guard posts

DMZ South Korea Panmunjom

PEACE IN KOREA? North, South Korea 'WITHDRAW TROOPS' from DMZ Village

The two Koreas agreed to conduct a joint excavation project from April to October next year.

During the third inter-Korean summit held in Pyongyang, Sept. 18-20, the two Korean militaries signed a comprehensive military agreement, independent of their respective leaders' joint declaration.

Both sides are likely to discuss reinstating a joint military commission in line with their military pact reached at last month's summit in Pyongyang.

South Korean Maj. Gen. Kim Do-gyun leaves for the border village of Panmunjom to attend a joint meeting between North and South Korea, July 31, 2018. Just this week, a separate meeting agreed on disarming guards at Panmunjom, with the future plan to be 35 troops from each side in the village, and no guns.

To remove the risk of war on the Korean peninsula, the two Koreas agreed to stop all artillery drills and field maneuvers by setting up maritime, air and ground buffer zones in front-line areas. The rival Koreas and the U.S. -led U.N. Command completed withdrawing firearms and troops from a jointly controlled area at the Koreas' border village on Thursday as part of their sweeping agreements to reduce decades-long military animosities on the Korean Peninsula.

The two Koreas will as a result of today's agreement withdraw personnel and equipment and "completely demolish" DMZ guard posts by the end of next month, verifying progress in December to ensure the process is wrapped up by the end of the year.

Aside from the remains, the agency found a military identification tag of South Korean Sgt. Pak Je-kwon.

About 28,500 United States troops are deployed in South Korea to deter potential aggression from North Korea. The talks took place as the Joint Security Area (JSA) began implementing new protocols created to reduce tension, while North Korea continued criticizing the United States' push for continued sanctions. Because the Korean conflict ended with a ceasefire rather than a treaty, the two Koreas remain technically at war.

The ministry predicted hundreds of South Korean, American and French soldiers were buried in the area, along with Chinese and North Korean soldiers.

South Korea found two sets of Korean War remains for the first time during its demining work in a notorious battle site inside the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) this week, Seoul's defense ministry said Thursday.

Seoul says the military agreement is an important trust-building step that will reduce border tensions and create more space for larger USA -led negotiations to denuclearize the North.

South Florida man charged in connection with pipe bomb packages
Samsung to Showcase its Foldable Phone along with the Galaxy S10