Australia aims to remove all asylum seeker children from Nauru within two months as concerns escalate about their deteriorating health after languishing on the tiny Pacific atoll nation for up to five years.
The Australian newspaper on Thursday quoted government sources saying there were 40 children remaining at processing centres on Nauru and they would be transferred to Australia by the end of the year.
The Australian asylum seeker debate reignited earlier this month when the government said it was willing to accept an offer from New Zealand to take 150 refugees - but only if Labor agreed to support legislation banning those refugees from ever travelling to Australia.
Australia's top diplomat in Britain, High Commissioner George Brandis, told London radio LBC that the government expects all asylum seeking children to be moved from Nauru to Australia this year.
"We haven't been showboating about it, we haven't been doing any of those things, " the prime minister said.
The Coalition Government since stopping the boats when it came to power in 2013 has been adamant that those asylum seekers who have come illegally to Australia by boat will never settle here, this is to ensure there is no incentive for the people smugglers to reopen their trade.
The Home Affairs Minister says the main reason children are being taken off Nauru and brought to Australia is because of the cost, not due to medical reasons. A detention center on Papua New Guinea's Manus Island was shut down in October 2017.
With more than 200 children already evacuated, 38 remain on the island.
This "problem" that has "largely gone away", includes children under the age of ten attempting suicide, refusing to eat and/or drink and otherwise dwelling in a hopeless, unsafe existence, just so that the big scary Australian government can look "tough" on people smuggling.
"While many children in Australia enjoy a good quality of life, for the ones that don't, the extent of the disparity is shocking", Ms Irani said.
"Even when you bring them to Australia, if you leave families with a sense of uncertainty, it is going to be very hard for the children to recover", he added.
Scott Morrison has taken credit for the transfer of sick children off Nauru in accordance with existing policy - the truth is his government has fought relentlessly to stop it from happening.
Mr Dutton said the decision by people on Nauru to reject a move to the United States showed they were more likely to be economic refugees and were not truly desperate for a safe home.
In September, the Refugee Council of Australia and the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre published a joint report, describing the plight of asylum seekers on Nauru in dire terms.
"Labor supports third country resettlement arrangements and we ask the government to consider the New Zealand offer". "But if we stay here, I still don't know what's going to happen".
"My judgment at the moment, based on all of the advice available to me, is New Zealand would be a pull factor at this point in time", Dutton told Sky News, fearing refugees would only return to Australia.
Forty-six kids have been born on Nauru under the offshore detention regime since 2012. But he said he and the other adults who don't have children wonder what will happen to them. "We are anxious, and the situation is getting worse day by day".