Bangladesh cricketers escape New Zealand mosque shooting

Bangladesh cricketers escape New Zealand mosque shooting

Bangladesh cricketers escape New Zealand mosque shooting

The team had just arrived at the Al Noor Mosque for Friday prayer when a gunman opened fire, and after hiding on the team bus for almost 10 minutes, they then fled the scene back to nearby Hagley Oval, where the now-cancelled third cricket test was set to take place.

New Zealand's Police Commissioner Mike Bush said "as far as we know" multiple fatalities occurred at two mosques. "Our thoughts and honest condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by this horrendous incident in Christchurch", Richardson said.

A raft of top class sporting events were cancelled in New Zealand on Saturday as a traumatised nation started burying the dead from the worst peacetime mass killing in its history.

"The boys were mentally in shock".

"We must have been about 50 yards from the mosque", team manager Khaled Mashud told ESPNcricinfo in the video below.

"Entire team got saved from active shooters", batsman Tamim Iqbal tweeted, per the BBC. "There were 18 of us and it was a terrifying experience because none of us have seen something like this before".

The suspected Al Noor Mosque shooter live streamed the attack on social media for around 17 minutes, local media reported.

Player Mushfiqur Rahim posted 'Alhamdulillah Allah save us today while shooting in Christchurch in the mosque.

"Hearts pumping badly and panic everywhere".

Meanwhile, as per reports, the team were on a bus that was pulling up to the mosque near Hagley Oval for Friday prayers when the shooting began but none of the players were inside.

The team bus was barely metres away from the scene of the carnage when the players first heard gunshots.

"Many of those who would have been affected by this shooting may be migrants to New Zealand".

ESPN Cricinfo reporter Mohammed Isam said members of the Bangladesh cricket team, who are due to play a Test match in Christchurch tomorrow escaped from the mosque. Players and team support staff had planned to pray at the mosque before continuing to the ground to join teammates and coaching staff.

There was no official information on casualties but the New Zealand Herald said at least one person was killed.

I start running towards the main road, when a lady, also heading out in her vehicle, asks if I need a ride. "To our comfort, the cricket was not the target, I can't imagine and I don't want to imagine what would happen if the players came earlier and entered into the Mosque".

The players used "the bus and the other parked vehicles as our cover and then slowly walked towards the entrance".

"Our heartfelt sympathies to the families of the victims and our thoughts are with them at this time of grave tragedy", the statement said.

Beto O'Rourke confirms he is running for US president
New Zealand PM Vows to Change Gun Legislation After Christchurch Mosque Massacre