Pompeo 'hopeful' North Korea talks can continue

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump

Pyongyang set to break off denuclearization talks with Washington — diplomat

The Asian Forum Japan's Senior Fellow, Jonathan Berkshire Miller, said that following the "humiliating" summit in Hanoi, Kim used his address to reiterate to the global community that North Korea wasn't looking to have all sanctions dating back to 2009 removed, but the sanctions that have been the most impactful.

North Korean tyrant Kim Jong-un is understood to be preparing an announcement where he will outline his future position on the denuclearisation of the peninsula. Bolton said in any case Trump "is our decision-maker". "I'd like to speak further within the USA government before we respond".

However, she added: "Personal relations between the two supreme leaders are still good and the chemistry is mysteriously wonderful". "That's Chairman Kim's word, I have every expectation he'll live up to that".

South Korea's presidential office, Cheong Wa Dae, responded cautiously to the reports of Choe's comments.

She added leader Kim Jong-un will soon decide whether to stay on the dialogue track and refrain from carrying out missile launches and nuclear tests.

She also blamed top US officials for the breakdown of last month's summit in Hanoi, saying the "gangster-like stand of the USA will eventually put the situation in danger", according to Russia's Tass news agency and AP.

Mr Pompeo told reporters on Friday that "on multiple occasions [Mr Kim] spoke directly to the president and made a commitment that he would not resume nuclear testing, nor would he resume missile testing" during their February summit. "(We) can't assess the current situation only with Vice Foreign Minister Choe's remarks", Cheong Wa Dae said.

North Korea says Pyongyang has no intention of giving in to Washington's demands and Kim Jong Un would be making a statement soon on the possibility of further talks.

The North´s warning came amid concerns over its satellite rocket launch site, where some rebuilding activity has been observed in recent weeks, triggering worldwide alarm that Pyongyang might be preparing a long-range missile or space launch.

'What is clear is that the US has thrown away a golden opportunity this time, ' she said.

"We can not judge the current situation based exclusively on Vice Minister Choe Son Hui's statements. We need a total solution", he emphasized during a forum in Washington D.C., effectively passing the ball to North Korea.

"(We) are keeping close tabs on the situation.

He said: "They're putting down a marker, saying which way things are headed if nothing changes".

North Korea acknowledged for the first time last Friday that the Hanoi summit ended "unexpectedly without an agreement". "It is likely to gauge the US reaction in the days ahead before making a decision to launch a rocket", he said.

Choe said following the Hanoi talks Kim might lose his commitment to pursue a deal with the USA after it rejected a request to lift sanctions in return for Pyongyang destroying its main nuke site.

Choe blamed the breakdown of talks on the US side, saying the American delegation was being too demanding and inflexible: [The US] "were too busy with pursuing their own political interests and had no honest intention to achieve a result", Choe added, according to Russian state news agency TASS.

North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui (center) speaks at an urgent gathering for diplomats in Pyongyang, North Korea on Friday.

At the State Department on Monday, Pompeo said that the North Korean offer in Hanoi "simply didn't rise to the level that was acceptable given what they were asking for in exchange".

At least 40 killed in New Zealand mosque shootings
Chiefs' Hill under investigation for alleged battery incident