The statement comes nearly a week since the Sudanese military deposed President Omar al-Bashir, who had held power for 30 years, on April 11 following months of peaceful protests that brought the country to a standstill.
Organizers behind Sudanese anti-government protests say the military has attempted to break up their sit-in but backed off. "We will continue the mass escalation and the sit-ins to..."
On Monday, the group said in a statement on its Facebook page that protests will persist until there is the creation of a sovereign council, a mini transitional legislative council and a civil transitional government that can exercise wide executive powers.
Sudanese demonstrators march with national flags as they gather during a rally demanding a civilian body to lead the transition to democracy, outside the army headquarters in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on Saturday, April 13, 2019. But in a press conference, the council's spokesman did not respond to the protesters' latest demands.
"We want the military council to be dissolved and be replaced by a civilian council having representatives of the army", said Mohamed Naji, a senior leader of the Sudanese Professionals Association.
Their comments come a day after the Khartoum embassies of Britain, the United States and Norway issued a joint statement calling for "inclusive dialogue to effect a transition to civilian rule".Outside army headquarters crowds remained camped outside the complex, despite SPA warnings of "an attempt to disperse the sit-in". The military said he was removed from power in response to the demands of the people.
The protests began December 19, with demonstrators accusing al-Bashir's government of economic mismanagement that has sparked skyrocketing food prices, and fuel and foreign currency shortages.
A member of the military council said Sudan's next civilian government would decide whether to hand Bashir over to the Hague-based International Criminal Court where he has been wanted since 2009 on war crimes charges over the long-running conflict in Darfur in western Sudan.
"Remember, we are talking about a regime that has been deep-rooted in power for 30 years, so the SPA and other powers behind this protest know. that the top ranks of the military, those who have staged this coup, will not easily give up the power that the military used to have in Sudan", Vall said.
He also pledged that individuals implicated in killing protesters would face justice and that protesters detained under a state of emergency imposed by Bashir during his final weeks in power would be freed. Tens of thousands of people have massed non-stop outside the army headquarters since April 6, initially urging the military to back their demand for Bashir's removal.
When the military announced Bashir's ousting, they said he had been arrested and was being kept at a "safe place".
On Sunday night, the council announced the appointment of Lieutenant General Abu Baker Mustafa as the new head of NISS in a televised announcement in which it also announced the sacking of Khartoum's envoy to Washington Mohamed Atta.