S Korea Says N Korea Has Fired More Projectiles Into Sea

North Korea has test-fired more missiles

North Korea has test-fired more missiles

The content of this image is as provided and can not be independently verified. That reported test came just hours after US Defense Secretary Mark Esper met with his South Korean counterparts in Seoul on Saturday.

Pyongyang rejected the claims a day later and called Moon's statements 'foolish and "reckless" in a statement released by the spokesperson for North Korea's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Country.

Shortly after the Hermit Kingdom ruled out peace talks with Seoul today, the South Korean military said it detected the launch of another two short-range ballistic missiles from North Korea's east coast - the sixth test in a month. However, little progress has been made on the North's stated commitment to denuclearize.

The loss of dialogue momentum between the North and South and the stalemate in implementing pledges made at an historic summit between their two leaders previous year is entirely the responsibility of the South, a North Korean spokesman has stated.

South Korea's unification ministry, on its part, has termed North Korea's comments about Moon "not in line" with inter-Korean agreements and unhelpful for developing relations between them.

A litany of smears of "the South Korean chief executive" followed, calling him a "funny man", saying he was "overcome with fright" and that his "wayward acts" have naturally led to the deterioration of inter-Korean relations. North Korea has repeatedly opposed its neighbour's defence relations with the USA and warned against holding military exercises and purchase of F-35 stealth fighter jets from the US.

"We have nothing to (talk about) any more with (South) Korean authorities nor have any (plans) to sit with them again", the statement said.

But the North threatened last week to carry out more weapons tests following the start of the latest joint drills between Seoul and Washington, which began on Aug.5.

Seoul's Unification Ministry said the North's comments are not "consistent" with the spirit of inter-Korean agreements, including the Panmunjom Declaration signed by Moon and Kim in April a year ago.

While calling the North's latest criticism a "rude act" that "crossed the line", the official said the government will continue efforts to resume working-level talks between the US and North Korea, as well as the dialogue between the two Koreas.

An official at Seoul's defence ministry said the latest test involved ballistic technology and detailed analysis was under way with the United States with the possibility that the North fired the same type of missiles it used on August 10.

North Korea has always been infuriated by the war games, decrying them as rehearsals for invasion.

They cited worries that the North's behavior could sharpen tensions on the peninsula and called for halts to the firing of such projectiles, Cheong Wa Dae said in a statement.

Briefing media on the results of an hourslong emergency National Security Council session held via videoconferencing, Cheong Wa Dae characterized two projectiles fired earlier in the day as "short-range" ones but stopped short of revealing other details.

Mr. Kim's promise not to conduct nuclear bomb or ballistic missile tests, meanwhile, came during the first Trump-Kim summit, which was held in Singapore in June 2018.

Japan's defence ministry said the projectiles had not reached the country's territorial waters or its exclusive economic zone.

WhatsApp Fingerprint Lock Feature Now Available for Android; How to Get it
Zinedine Zidane to give Gareth Bale another chance at Real Madrid