Huge sinkhole swallows bus in China killing six

A bus and several passersby fell into this huge sinkhole as it spread

A bus and several passersby fell into this huge sinkhole as it spread

BEIJING-Six people were killed and another 16 injured when a bus toppled into a sinkhole caused by the sudden collapse of a stretch of road in northwestern China, the official Xinhua news agency reported on January 14 citing local authorities.

A video from a different angle shows the bus sunk deep into the ground head first.

Rescuers are searching for the missing people.

An initial investigation showed the collapse might have been caused by water pipes under the road breaking up due to the rain.

The bus had just stopped outside a hospital in Xining, the capital of Qinghai province when the incident occurred.

At least six people died and 16 others were injured after a huge well in a bus in northwest China had swallowed a bus.

Additional footage obtained by The New York Times shows how the bus slowly sunk into the hole until it eventually stood entirely vertical. It's unclear if all of the dead were on the bus, as several bystanders also fell in the hole.

Xinhua said more than 1,000 rescue workers and 30 vehicles have been dispatched to the scene.

In July past year, a woman died after she and her husband were swallowed by a sinkhole in a road in Tangshan, Hebei province.

The bureau said the bus had been raised from the collapsed 80-square metre (860-square foot) section into which it had fallen.

Numerous other incidents have not resulted in deaths, such as a 2015 sinkhole in the Chinese city of Harbin which was caught on camera swallowing a minibus carrying five commuters.

Several people disappeared as the sinkhole spread, including what appeared to be a child.

Iran admits to shooting down plane unintentionally