USA points to dissent in Iran in wake of deadly drone strike

Iranian stalemate puts new Trump security advisor in the spotlight

Senior administration officials struggle to explain intelligence behind killing of Soleimani

Trump's tweet came shortly after US National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien said in interviews that the US was working with partner nations to force Iran to drop any plans for nuclear weapons and the Islamic Republic would have no choice but to resume negotiations. "What I'm saying is I share the presidents' view".

"To the leaders of Iran - DO NOT KILL YOUR PROTESTERS", Trump tweeted, warning that the world and "more importantly, the US is watching". However, there were no causalities from the US' side. The deal is also set to expire, but O'Brien believes the financial impact of USA sanctions will ultimately be too much for Iran, stating "there's no other way for them to get the money they need".

During an interview Friday with Fox News' Laura Ingraham, Trump fired back at critics who opposed his decision to assassinate General Suleimani, claiming the Iranian military leader was readying assaults on four US embassies, including in Baghdad.

"Are you saying there was none?"

In an interview with Fox News' Laura Ingraham that aired Friday, Trump said that he was justified in authorizing the strike that killed Soleimani because the top Iranian military official had been planning attacks on four US embassies - a claim that sits at odds with senior officials in his administration.

The detainee found a passport, which confirmed that the man is a citizen of Iran and is legal in the United States. Democrats say those advisers are too eager to accede to Trump's views.

He continued: "I believe there were threats to more than - to multiple embassies".

Democratic Senator Chris Coons of DE, member of the Senate's Foreign Relations Committee, said he was anxious: "Iran has many ways in which they can take action against us, both openly and hiddenly, and I don't think they did it to take revenge". The Pentagon chief admitted to Brennan that he personally "didn't see [a decisive piece of intelligence] with regard to four embassies".

When O'Brien appeared on "Fox News Sunday", he said the administration knew there were threats to American facilities.

At total of 73 percent said they were very concerned or somewhat concerned about the possibility of US involvement in a full-scale war with Iran.

"What the president said is consistent with what we've been saying".

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., on NBC's "Meet the Press" said administration officials were "dismissive of Congress" throughout the briefing.

Esper said on Sunday that he saw no explicit threat to four embassies, and that his decision was based on the common belief between him and Trump that these messages were exposed to an immediate threat. Calling it "kind of a Washington story", he said that "rather than have a short-term political win - release the intelligence and say I told you so - we want to keep Americans safe".

But pressed on this claim, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he didn't see specific evidence of the same threat.

"We made it very clear this was not going to be Tehran 1979, this was not going to be Benghazi", he said.

Trudeau tells Iran crash vigil he will pursue justice
Recovery begins after storms that kill 11 in Midwest, South