We nearly got him: High-ranking Iranian operative survives another drone strike

The Trump administration has come under fire for assassinating Soleimani without consulting Congress

The Trump administration has come under fire for assassinating Soleimani without consulting Congress

Trump administration officials have justified the killing as an act of self-defence, saying he was planning military acts that threatened large numbers of USA military and diplomatic officials in the Middle East. Iran, however, called the attack an act of terrorism, and on Wednesday launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles at two bases in Iraq that house U.S. and coalition forces.

The Washington Post said Mr Mahdi had asked US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a phone call to devise a mechanism for the withdrawal of the 5,000 US troops from Iraq following a parliamentary decision last week.

President Trump is saying Iranian General Qasem Soleimani had been planning attacks on four USA embassies before his assassination.

Israeli media reported the day after the strike that US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had briefed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ahead of time about the US plans to kill Soleimani.

In a separate interview that aired Sunday morning, Esper said he didn't see a specific threat against four embassies in the intelligence.

He stated he believed four embassies were being targeted, including the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.

Asked about the consequences of the drone strike on Soleimani, 52 percent said it made the United States less safe, 25 percent said more safe, 22 percent said it didn't have any effect, while 1 percent didn't respond.

Unlike the United States, which on Friday imposed new economic sanctions on Iran, the Europeans gave Tehran more time to avoid nuclear proliferation at its doorstep rather than begin a process that could lead to a reimposition of U.N sanctions.

The report regarding Israeli intelligence arrived on the heels of news regarding a network of informants in Damascus and Baghdad global airports who allegedly collaborated with the USA military as part of the strike that killed Soleimani, head of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and Abu Mahdi Muhandis, deputy head of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), an exclusive report by Reuters revealed on Thursday. But at the same time, European Union diplomats on Friday made sure the US -led anti-IS coalition continues to operate in Iraq.

The Indiana Conservative said that Congress had "ceded" most of its power to declare war on the President and that Congress should reconsider this conversation, but not in the context of the resolution of the War Powers of Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA).

"We're not going to have another Benghazi", he added.

The unsuccessful operation against Shahlai may indicate that the Trump administration's killing of Soleimani last week was part of a broader operation than previously explained, raising questions about whether the mission was created to cripple the leadership of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps or exclusively to prevent an imminent attack on Americans as originally stated.

Forty-nine percent of respondents said that they had heard "a lot" about Soleimani's death. "But I've also heard from other senators, including Chairman (James) Risch of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee - he thought it was one of the best briefings he'd ever had". Chris Coons and Virginia Sen.

This is a developing story.

B-day boy Piolo posts photo of smoke from Taal Volcano
The Wyoming governor announces support for the Trump NEPA rollback