Coronavirus: Sony and Amazon pull out of major tech show

Sony, Amazon drop out of major European tech show over a virus

Nvidia, Sony and Amazon cancel MWC appearances due to coronavirus concerns

Fortunately, other major companies are still on for the event, so stay tuned, we'll be there to cover those announcements.

After LG announced it's not sending any employees to the biggest tech show of the spring, ZTE canceled its press conference, and Ericsson backed out as well, more tech companies are now following suit.

It is extra anxious about harm to its financial system; inns are already being hit with cancellations, and bars, eating places and song venues might see a dip in earnings this month if many of us keep away.

Sony's departure from MWC leaves a pretty big hole in the event's schedule.

With the rapid spread of the China virus showing no signs of slowing down, the industry watchers have also warned that more companies may avoid the tech event. Microsoft had earlier indicated that it will have a booth at MWC and also hold a press conference on Sunday, February 23.

GSMA, the body that overseas MWC, said the show much go on.

Today, the GSMA is moving ahead as planned and will host MWC Barcelona 24-27 February 2020.

The statement further added, "we will attend Mobile World Congress Barcelona 2020 as planned, and launch our latest smartphones as well as a range of smart hardware".

Expect some precautions to be in place for the show, however.

However, GSMA said no travellers from Hubei province would be allowed to attend the event, while all travellers who had been in China would need to prove they have been out of the country for 14 days before the congress started. In addition to the GSMA, health officials have stressed that the city is not a public health risk zone, but is taking its own preventative measures and is ready to handle the influx of MWC visitors.

Here's a list of who's dropped out or scaled back their presence at MWC 2020.

Amazon doesn't usually have a presence at MWC, but Sony is often one of the most active exhibitors, using the trade show to launch some of its biggest phones of the year.

In what is an increasingly dismal downward spiral, MWC 2020 appears to be on the verge of collapse.

Ericsson: Ericsson announced on February 7 that it was dropping out of MWC due to the coronavirus outbreak.

"After an extensive internal risk assessment, Ericsson has chose to take further precautionary measures by withdrawing from MWC Barcelona 2020, the largest event in the telecom industry", said Ericsson in a statement. Just when the hype was building as regards the products that would be released at MWC, the mobile show has been hit by a wave of withdrawals.

Like Sony, LG plans separate events to unveil its new mobile products.

Coronavirus officially named Covid-19 by World Health Organisation
Now China urges France not to discriminate against Huawei on 5G networks