Bizarre trigger for Courtenay fire
Courtenay Fire Department crews responded to a small blaze, with a rather unusual cause on Monday night, June 11, 2012.
"A small fire broke out in a grocery store, after the attendant, in locking up the store, pulled down the cage of a cigarette locker," explained Fire Chief Don Bardonnex. "She actually clipped one of the butane lighters that was inside, which obviously opened up and ignited and they didn't notice it when they locked the cage up."
Bardonnex says thankfully the blaze was spotted just in time.
"Fortunately they hung around cleaning up and what not before they locked the door up and smelled smoke, found the fire and called our crews. We responded to it and put it out and it was really a minor fire."
The fire broke out in a convenience store in Courtenay on Centennial Drive. There were no injuries in the blaze.
Most Viewed Stories
Questionable Content? Click here to report it to the webmaster.